February 2016 – Homemade Fresh Vegetable Soup
• 1 Tablespoon olive oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped/diced
• ½ cup carrots, peeled and chopped
• ½ cup celery, chopped
• 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
• 2 cups potatoes, scrubbed and diced
• 3 cups stock (I use vegetable, but you can use chicken or beef, if you wish)
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
• ½ cup fresh or frozen sweet corn
• 1 cup fresh or frozen sweet peas
• ½ cup fresh or frozen green beans
Heat the oil in a large saucepan/stockpot. Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes, until translucent. Then add the carrots and celery. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes.
Pour in the canned tomatoes and add the potatoes. Bring the liquid to a simmer. Pour in the stock. Bring it to a simmer again. Add the salt and pepper and continue cooking for 8 minutes.
Add the corn, peas and green beans. Continue cooking until all the vegetables are tender. Serve hot.
A note on this recipe
Doubling the batch fills a six quart crockpot. This is convenient way to serve the soup.
Recipe courtesy of Lori Bayne, MACC’s Customer Master Product Owner. Have a recipe you’d like to share? Send it to Ryan at [email protected].